Re: Proposal for an "address:" URI Scheme

On 3/17/01 22:56, "Douglas Bagnall" <douglas@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Why not just "postal:"?
>
> In this part of the world "address" is a synonym of URI, as in "ftp
> address", "email address", "web address". Thus the "address" part of
> "postal-address" is redundant, since it is implicitly already there
> (You might as well use "postal-URI:").

Hear, hear!  The same argument I was about to make.

What is the goal of having this URI?  When will it get used?  Do we expect
to put a postal URI on an envelope and drop it into a mailbox?  Will we have
anchor tags on our web pages like <a href="postal://us/27514/103 W. Franklin
St./Nate"> that when someone clicks on, their computer will print out a
label in the format for their country that they can slap on an envelope and
mail me a check?  Maybe an online service that will send a postcard to the
specified person?

Nate