Addition to tables

From: Phil Pearl <ppearl@altavista.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org
I haven't seen anything like this proposed, but I'd like to suggest that the <TABLE> tag be given the capability to act as an interactive spreadsheet-type of document.

I've implemented a beta test example of what I have
in mind at :
  http://www.browseredit.com/sample.html
and this uses the HTML "value" element in a new way,
to allow a formula to be entered for any table cell.

For example with the addition of the "value"
element to the <TD> tag, and a string such as :
  value="r1c1+r1c3"
with suitable JavaScript code to compute this,
a cell value can be calculated.

Combined with the Microsoft "contentEditable"
element you then have a complete spreadsheet/
invoice type of solution that can be filled-in
on the web.

Phil Pearl

http://www.shopping.altavista.com