Re: Update on Technical Architecture Group

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:29:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Janet Daly wrote:

> As W3C has grown, there have been more frequent requests for
> documentation of architectural principles that cross multiple
> technologies. People ask, "How do W3C technologies fit together?
> What basics must people know before they start developing a new
> technology?"

They may ask this about the W3C, but the WWW is a much larger
community, and a much wider context.

> To improve the effectiveness of Working Groups, to reduce
> misunderstandings and overlapping work, and to improve the
> consistency of Web technologies developed inside and outside W3C,
> the W3C Advisory Board, with input from the W3C Team and Members,
> developed the proposal for a TAG.

Almost five years ago, the following exchange took place on
comp.text.sgml.

:> The Internet is data plumbing.  Sure would be nice to get
:> standard parts and tools.
:
: Sigh. You're really missing the big picture: the internet is a
: monument to decentralization, forward thinking, minimalist
: design, and interoperability. Standard tools would be the
: death of the phonomenon as we know it.

Who was right?

(A Google usenet search for "plumbing" and "decentralization" in
comp.text.sgml will find the thread.)

Arjun