Re: Processing Instructions, not Magic Comments

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Arjun Ray wrote:
>
>> A URL with a concise statement of the problem, and possibly a
>> discussion of the approaches, would help.
>
> One of the more recent threads on the subject is:
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/2001MayJun/thread.html#0

Not the shortest thread around...;)

> Here is a summary:
>    http://damowmow.com/mozilla/xhtml-in-uas.xhtml

Ah!  Much better!  Thank you.

> If you have any comments, additions, or questions I strongly
> recommend that you mail them to me (ian@hixie.ch) and ask that you

The crux seems to be this:

: People have proposed several ideas to make XML-aware UAs treat
: documents sent as text/html as text/xml.

Would this be an equivalent problem statement?

| Given a text/html entity, how might a suitably capable user-agent
| determine unambiguously/reliably that it would be correct to apply
| an XML parser to the contents?

(Where "would be correct" means that such is in fact the intent of the
content provider.)

Arjun