Re: clipping services

At 08:46 AM 2000-12-17 -0600, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>Dmitry Beransky <dberansk@biomail.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Thanks a bunch.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  Is there a
>> similar thing for various PDA devices?
>
>Not that I know of, I believe only phones for now -- Palms, for example,
>can't visit normal web pages, I believe.

You have to distinguish, here, between the Clippings service which is
available
via Palm VII and the little-p palm class of devices, which can have access to
the 'weal' WWW using other services accessed with the aid of e.g. the OmniSky
modem that works with the Palm V.

But I am likewise unaware of any gateway that offers access to the whole real
WWW as Web Clippings.  There are several WWW to WAP gateways which I found by
digging at C-Net.

[Plug warning]

If you're interested in this topic you might be interested in the
discussion we
presented at Supercomputing 2000:

Middleware and the eSCaped Web
<http://trace.wisc.edu/handouts/sc2000/middleware_and_eSCaped_web>http://tr
ace.wisc.edu/handouts/sc2000/middleware_and_eSCaped_web/

which inter_alia provides links to two WAP/W3C workshops which give background
for work by WAP Forum and W3C to achieve convergence in this area.

Al

<http://www.aaronsw.com/>http://www.aaronsw.com ]