Re: Conditional GET behavior of common HTTP clients?

From: Koen Holtman <koen@hep.caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:58:02 -0800 (PST)
To: Louis Theran <louis.theran@nokia.com>
cc: www-talk@w3.org

I can't answer all of these, but...

On 10 Dec 2000, Louis Theran wrote:

> Has anybody done a survey of how common HTTP clients generate
> conditional GET requests?  (A quick search didn't turn up anything
> interesting.)
>
> I'm mostly interested in:
>
>   * Whether If-None-Match is used at all

I don't know.   You might be able to find statistics about the use of this
header on the W3C's web characterisation pages.

>   * Whether Last-Modified timestamps are really being used as nonces

Most, if not all, modern browsers will only send if-modified-since headers
with exacly the same date as was in the last-modified header of the
response they try to revalidate.

>   * Whether ``Cache-Control: max-age=...'' is respected

All HTTP/1.1 implementations should, and I believe that by now most of the
browsers and proxy caches out there implement HTTP/1.1.

Koen.