Re: Jumbotext - A New Feature to WWW

From: James P. Salsman <bovik@best.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
To: burchard@pobox.com
Cc: walkman44@excite.com, www-talk@w3.org
Paul,

Thanks for your message:

>... Actually, this idea was implemented the right way over 10 years
> ago in the (pre-web) NeXTSTEP "Services" architecture.  Basically, the user
> could make any (multimedia) selection in any application, go to a standard
> system-supplied menu, and have other apps perform their registered
> services on that data (in-place if appropriate)....

Yes; I agree with the comment about "link smog," too.

Please see:

  http://www.webreference.com/js/column12/crossbrowser.html

Do any browsers (other than Mozilla) allow their operators to add a
JavaScript procedure to the pop-up or pull-down menus, or as a new
browser button?  I don't see how to use ordinary bookmarks for this.

You could keep a seperate window around with an onclick-scripted
button that opens a new window with your favorite dictionary's
definition looked up from the document selection.

Cheers,
James