cgi authorization

From: Whyard, Matthew <Matthew.Whyard@siemenscomms.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 05:52:39 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-talk@w3.org'" <www-talk@w3.org>
I am writing a Perl CGI script for checking the validity of URLs which
reference documents on an Intranet. The users authorize themselves by
entering a username/password in a standard browser prompt, in order to
access the Intranet.

When entering the URL in a form, on sumbitting it the CGI script uses
sockets to send an HTTP HEAD request to the server for the referenced
document. However, many of the documents require a 'different'
authorization, although the username and password already entered to access
the Intranet is usually fine to access the document. What is basically
happening is that the response received from the server is a "401
authorization required".... what I need is a way of passing the username
(simple) and password (how??!) already entered with the HEAD request for the
document.

I would really appreciate some help!
Matt