Multiple protocol, using port 80 (HTTP)

From: Joris Dobbelsteen <j.p.tdobbelsteen@freeler.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:20:00 +0200
To: "WWW WG (E-mail)" <www-talk@w3.org>
What should be possible with HTTP is the following. By using a proxy you
should be able to request, e.g.

	GET wap://host/document HTTP/1.1
what means:
GET the WAP resource document from host and send to me with the HTTP/1.1
protocol.

However, it must also be possible to:

	GET wap://host/document WAP/1.0

what must mean: Get the WAP resource document from host and send it to me
with the WAP/1.0 protocol.

or
	GET http://host/document WAP/1.0

what means: get the HTTP resource document from host and send it to me with
the WAP protocol.

This implementation may be useful and is possible to implement. It can save
ports on web servers (use only port 80). It is possible to implement HTTPS
the same way:

Getting the syntax:
Request = Method SP URL SP Protocol CRLF Protocol-Specific
Method = 1*Char
URL = 1*Char
Protocol = ProtocolName "/" Version
ProtocolName = 1*Char