Re: Content-Encoding confusion

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:24:57 -0700
To: "Hugo Haas" <hugo@w3.org>, <www-talk@w3.org>
> When I request html40.pdf, it is obvious that my browser needs to
decode
> (i.e. uncompress) the file on the fly, and save it under html40.pdf.

The problem is that when you save a file locally you can't use the
Content-* header fields directly but instead have to express the
bindings using file suffixes. However, a URI is opaque so the client
makes a mistake by taking the last part of the URI as a file name. The
reason is that there is no guarantee that the server and the client has
the same bindings between file name suffixes and media types or that all
suffixes are included in the URI.

The only way to make this work is if the client uses the Content-*
header fields to generate a proper set of suffizes that has the right
binding the local machine and give the local file a name with these
suffixes.

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
mailto:frystyk@microsoft.com