From: Keith Hoffman [mailto:hoffmankeith@hotmail.com]
Sent: vrijdag 14 april 2000 23:25
To: John C. Mallery
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft HTTP 1.1 Conformance?

IE on Mac doesn't have that option.  I'm not sure why that decision was
made. I believe it does HTTP 1.1 all of the time (even through proxies).

It's not the default for the IE client because there are very few proxies
that are truly and fully HTTP 1.1 compliant.  Most are actually a mix - http
1.0.5 if you will. :)    Having HTTP 1.1 through the proxy turned off by
default helps avoid port negotiation issues on some proxies.