Re: validation of HTTP on the wire

From: Ari Gordon-Schlosberg <regs@nebcorp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:15:48 -0600
To: www-talk@w3.org
[Jay Chalfant <jchalfan@outbackinc.com>]
> Hello,
> I'm looking for a tool that validates a web server's conformance to HTTP
> 1.0/1.1. We are using a 3rd party embedded web server in a system we are
> developing and we have evidence that it does not honor all of the requests
> it gets. (It appears to occassionally consume requests for linked elements
> in the original page.) The tool that I am thinking of would either process
> the output of a tool like tcpdump (packets generated by a separate user
> agent) or would operate as the user agent itself and simultaneously log
> requests/responses, possibly with header info.
> Any pointers are appreciated.

Hmmm, a combo user-agent logger would be very neat... perhaps someone will
hack such a thing into Mozilla.  Going the tcpdump route, check out
Ethereal at ethereal.zing.org, nice graphical packet sniffer based on
libpcap with the ability to isolate individual tcp streams.

Ari							there is no spoon
http://www.nebcorp.com/~regs/pgp for PGP public key