Re: etag or itag?

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:25:04 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: mogul@pa.dec.com
FYI, Daniel's question about when to assign the entity tag (before or after
range extraction, before or after content encoding, before or after delta
encoding) has exposed a conceptual flaw in the delta encoding specification,
draft-mogul-http-delta-03.txt, and also in the related draft on Instance
Digests, draft-mogul-http-digest-02.txt.

I think we can resolve this issue with a little redesign of the delta
mechanism; this requires a few new headers but it also provides
a chance to clean up a fuzzy area of the delta spec (and of the HTTP/1.1
spec, unfortunately).

Further discussion of this topic will be on http-delta@pa.dec.com,
and people interested in joining that list should send a message to
http-delta-request@pa.dec.com.  I don't normally read www-talk
myself.

-Jeff