Re: Enforce reloading of page when using the back-button -Forwarded

From: <danielh@econ.ag.gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:09:36 -0500
To: www-talk@w3.org
>This means that is you return a "220 O.K." the browser must treat it like a
>200 O.K. except for the fact that it must not cache the page.
>We also had to add <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">  to the
>pages
>( which had previously on it's own had not worked )
>We tested this and it works to break the back button for IE4, IE5.1,
>Netscape 3.04 And 4.04. All of the pages made a new request to the
>server.
>Unfortunately IE 3.01 on NT 3.5 still cached the pages.

I vaguely recollect that you have a reason for forcing reloads  on
movements in the history list; but I hope you do realize that, in
general, unasked for re-requesting due to  movements in the history
 is a major pain in the neck.
It's  something that I (as a server author) have had to try and "break"
(by adding expires of a several minutes to otherwise static documents).
Not something I'm proud of, but better then the all too frequent behavior
of most versions of netscape that I've used.

Daniel Hellerstein
danielh@crosslink.net
http://www.srehttp.org