Re: Enforce reloading of page when using the back-button

From: Grahame Grieve <grahame@kestral.com.au>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 20:37:29 +1100
To: www-talk@w3c.org
Hi all

John wrote

>For something like that the universal browser isn't up to the job,
>it sounds like either ship the user a modified browser or do it in
>a plugin/applet.

(btw, thanks for digging out that thread)

But if you're going to do that, why muck around with html/http in the
first place? might as well just write a real application in the first
place. Then you don't have to deal with brain-dead user input problems,
POST problems, printing problems, etc.

>This is because they don't realise that
>users are already too sophisticated to be controlled.

Which users are these? your user population is rather different to
mine ;-)

Dan wrote,

>OK... thanks. Now I understand your motivation.
>>From a purely architectural/technical point of view, I agree
>with others here who have suggested that your
>issue is with the user agent, not with the HTTP
>protocol. But I infer that your system engineering
>constraints prescribe particular user agents. Sigh...

You got it. But the HTTP spec could've helped out a little
more than it does. (not that I'd be caught criticising a
world beater spec like http)

>Actually, I find quite explicit protocol support in HTTP 1.1 for this
>case:
>
>"private
>   Indicates that all or part of the response message is intended for a
single user
>     and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache. This allows an origin server to
>     state that the specified parts of the
>     response are intended for only one user and are not a valid response for
>     requests by other users. A private (non-shared) cache MAY cache the
response.

>     Note: This usage of the word private only controls where the response
may be
>     cached, and cannot ensure the privacy of the message content. "
>
>-- http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.9.1

Oh wow. No I do feel dumb. I'll take my bat and ball and retreat to the corner.
(and figure out how to force v1.1 for some pages only)

Grahame