Re: Client header for connection speed info

Since the traffic is generated by the servers, for the most part, shouldn't
the server and its protocols be aware of bandwidth problems and self-limit
the feed?  Has anyone taken a look at the blocks protocol, submitted by
invisible worlds, as a potential fit?

                 http://mappa.mundi.net/Internet-Drafts/

If an upgrade command is sent along then why wouldn't this be an
appropriate protocol?
Before I get slammed, I realize that clients have to be able to understand
this new protocol and that it is not a perfect fit for everyone.  I'm just
asking if anyone has looked at this and could it be applied in certain cases?

At 08:37 PM 3/2/00 , hardie@equinix.com wrote:
>conneg's work is bounded to negotiation related to content features
>and does not include a registered feature tag for something like
>bandwidth or link speed.  While it would be possible to use the conneg
>syntax to create a "bandwidth" feature, I believe that doing so would
>not ultimately benefit content negotiation.  A device with a very low
>link speed may still be used to render very complex content; it
>increases the download time, but this may not matter to the end user
>(especially if the download is background or unattended).  I would
>suggest using MIME types and features to indicate the breadth of
>available content and/or the user's capabilities and preferences; the
>set intersection logic allowed by the conneg syntax is fairly powerful
>in its ability to match capabilities and content features.  This
>approach will also catch the case of high-link speed/low capability
>devices (like modem-equipped PDAs).

Kevin J. Dyer				     Draper Laboratory  MS 35
Email: <kdyer@draper.com>		     555 Tech. Sq.
Phone: 617-258-4962			     Cambridge, MA 02139
FAX:
617-258-2061                                   http://www.draper.com

        Data Management & Information Navigation Systems