Re: 404 Error "Standards"

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:24:56 -0500
To: "Siegel, David" <David.Siegel@dialogic.com>
CC: "'www-talk@w3.org'" <www-talk@w3.org>
"Siegel, David" wrote:
> In the process of researching how to "ping" a URL to check its validity, a
> quick solution of just checking for a string involving "HTTP 404 Error" and
> variations of it presented itself as a quick solution.  Is there currently a
> "default" standard for web servers for 404 errors?

Er... yes; if the first 3 bytes of the response message
are the ascii codes for '4', '0', and '4', then it's a 404 response.

6.1.1 Status Code and Reason Phrase

10.4.5 404 Not Found

There's no standard for the content of the error message
(it doesn't even have to be HTML). You have to look at the
HTTP protocol status code.

>  Is there a specific HTTP
> header or META tag I can look for in the page that gets returned when the
> page does not exist on the server? (This would probably be more consistent -
> if it exists)
> Any advice here would be great!!!
> Thanks,
> David Siegel
> mailto:david.siegel@dialogic.com

tel:+1-913-491-0501 (office phone as of 27 Apr 2000)