Data Serialization with XML

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:53:35 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org

I recently came across the following paper, presented at the QL98
workshop:

  http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/microsoft-serializing.html

There is a garish PowerPoint presentation of somewhat later vintage,
with the title "Serializing Graphs of Data in XML", that appears to be
the same in substance:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/archive/WWW8DevDay.ppt

Both are also mentioned in this W3C-Note:

  http://www.w3.org/1999/04/WebData

Has there been any public discussion of the "ideas" presented in the
QL98 paper?  [I think the scheme(s) proposed - in particular, the
property => attribute mapping - classify safely somewhere between
clueless and hopeless, and so my concern is that something like this
could become a fait accompli.  If it's too late, I suppose I don't
mind being informed about that too!:)]

Arjun