Multiple responses from one request

From: Daniel Hellerstein <DANIELH@mailbox.econ.ag.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:04:17 -0500
To: www-talk@w3.org
I suspect this is a no-no, but my reading of rfc2616 doesn't give me a
definitive answer;

The question:
  Can an http 1.1 serverr "pipeline" multiple responses (over a
maintained connection)
  to a single request;  without using a mulitpart content type (and
suitable dividers).

For example
a) client requests /pictures/anim5.cgi
b) the "anim5.cgi" script responds with 5 differerent images, say
   with a second or two wait between images
c) This response is over the single connection

Thus, the response would look something like;

http/1.1 200 Ok

(image1 info, that is 251 bytes long)
http/1.1 200 Ok

(image21 info, that is 412 bytes long)
http/1.1 200 Ok

(image5 info, that is 1311 bytes long)

Okay, this may be a stupid thing to do, given the way most browsers
will react
(i.e.; they won't replace images to form a server push animation)..
The point is that   I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to
detect, and then disallow, this sequence of events in a "customizable"
http/1.1 server I'm revamping.

Thanks

Daniel Hellerstein
http://www.srehttp.org