Re: Tracking hits without cache-busting

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Grahame Grieve wrote:

> >That is not a bug in IE5, that is the exact behavior required by the
> >standard.  Back is supposed to show the old page you have seen before,
> >not fetch a new copy.  See for example section 13.13 of rfc2616.
>
> but this is obtuse to a user. why should a user perceive
> any difference between a page they got from going back
> and a page they got from going forward? In highly dynamic
> web applications this caching of back business is a big problem with
> the http standard

HTML was designed to serve up more or less static pages.  One souce of
information per URL.  Anything dynamic that has been added on is a cheap
hack.  You are very lucky that anything dynamic works at all. If you
want to serve dynamic data, I suggest using Java applet in your page.
Then you can be as dynamic as you want.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''