Tracking hits without cache-busting

From: <danielh@econ.ag.gov>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:44:40 -0300
To: www-talk@w3.org
I'm curious as to the status of work on allowing origin servers to track
hits without using cache-busting techniques.

That is, a protocol for proxies & other caches to send a message to an
origin server stating that "I responded to a request for resource
xxx/yyy.1 on  host foo.bar.net";  a message which the server could use to
increment a counter (and then send a short acknowledgement back to the
proxy).

In particular, as the author of niche-market server, are there any draft
protocols that I should be aware of, or should consider implementing?

danielh@crosslink.net