How does PUT work?

From: Ashish Deshpande <ashish_deshpande@trishul.icil.co.in>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:08:39 +0530
To: www-talk@w3.org
  I'm writing an HTTP client under solaris 2.6. I'm using apache 1.3 as HTTP server.
 Can anyone tell me how to issue a PUT command?
 I tried sending "PUT /filename\r\n". The server responded with "405 method not supported for this
URL". Is it because of the settings of the server or anything else needs to be passed with PUT?
   I have added PUT in "Limit" field  for the document root directory as well as for this particular

  Could someone please help?

Ashish Deshpande

"If at first you don't succeed......
  make sure you remove all traces, that you ever tried."