Refresh:

From: Fabian Wein <wein@iis.fhg.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:02:33 +0100
To: www-talk@w3.org
Hi,

I do not understand <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT=5>.

Internet Explorer:
   does a if-not-modfied GET for the HTML page including embedded
   images but renders the whole page even if there is definetly
   nothing else than a 304 Not Modified coming from the server.
Netscape:
   does also a if-not-modified GET but is not interested in
   embedded images, even if the HTML pages is altered (touch).
   Also renders the whole page new every time.
Opera:
   Asks the server who sends a 304 back and then the page is not
   rendered - fine.

What I also don't understand is, that there is in HTTP 1.0 and 1.1
no Refresh:! It seems there was a security discussion in 95 but
I didn't find any result.

So, when Expire: cannot be used, is there any way to force the
browser (NS/IE) to check if there were any updates of the data w/o
rendering the page when there is no new data available?

Can this be done via multipart messages or has anyone experience
with Conection: Keep-Alive and some tricks?

Thanks a lot, Fabian