Re: SVG and HTML

At 12:35 PM 7/29/99 , Mike Meyer wrote:
>you'll always find a small
>percentage of sites that care about the speed a page loads and
>honoring the users preferences. From the looks of things, (X)HTML will
>work better for those people than SVG.

Yes, but...Just like (X)HTML, SVG is optimized for fast downloads; just
like (X)HTML, SVG uses CSS which means that it' capable of honoring user
preferences; just like (X)HTML, SVG can support DOM, therefore it's
scriptable, etc.  Everything that HTML can do, so can SVG except for
semantic markup (but to some degree that can be accomplished with RDF).

At 12:30 PM 7/29/99 , Sarr Blumson wrote:

>Knowing that a
>list is a list lets a screen reader for blind users _tell_ them that it's
>enumerating a list.  Heading tags let a search engine tell you whether
>hits occurred in section headings or in text (the Text Encoding Initiative
><http://www.tei-c.org/> carries this to great lengths for academics doing
>textual analysis stuff.  All of this matters to some people.

Once again, I agree, but what percentage is "some people" -- %50, %20,
5%?  I'm inclined to think that the actual number unfortunately is much
closer to the smaller end of the scale.  And most vendors have a tendency
of paying little attention to the needs of small groups.

I recognize the benefits of HTML, support it wholeheartedly and don't want
to see it gone.  I'm just afraid that by mainstreaming SVG we are going to
shoot ourselves in our own collective foot.

Regards

Dmitry Beransky