Re: Static? Dynamic?

John Martin:

>At 12:13 PM 30/06/99 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>I wonder what it would take to get the server installations
>>to have more cache-friendly defaults.
>
>I think the only way forward is to ensure that the default settings in all
>server implementations are cache-friendly. (e.g. in the case of Apache,
>that would mean that mod_expires became compiled in by default.)

I disagree.  Expires information being sent by servers is only
cache-friendly if the server operator actually spent some time
thinking about what the expires value should be.

Preconfiguring some Expires default into Apache is worse than useless.
It will probably lead to proxy cache operators having to distinguish
between a) Expires headers that were configured explicitely by server
operators, which can thus be trusted, and b) Expires headers sent by
default with the server operators unaware of it, which can thus not be
trusted.

If the server operator does not configure anything explicitely, then
proxy cache operators are in a better position to make up an
appropriate default than the Apache group.

Koen.