CGI - how to esnure exit application cleanly

From: Kevin Hastie <kevin.hastie@afp.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:46:58 -0000
To: "'www-talk@w3.org'" <www-talk@w3.org>
can anyone shed light on this problem: I am developing a javascript
browser-client
and CGI program, to connect to database server: I want to ensure that if the
user exits the browser, or simply changes the page by navigating elsewhere
that I can cleanly exit the session - hence I need the client to inform the
cgi that it is unloading
the page.
I can easily catch the event but any subsequent request sent to the cgi
seems to
clash and usually be overridden by the simultaneous user-command to navigate
the new page. Any ideas?

thanks.	kevin hastie