Re: microsoft help files

Wilma Gronewold <wilma.gronewold@strath.ac.uk> wrote:

>Is it possible to convert help files (.hlp) into html files or
>text files?

I have never seen a direct converter, but you can decompile a HLP file into
it's constituent parts. Then you can either read the RTF files into Word and
export as HTML (yuck!) or you can use the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop to
convert entire project to HTML.

There are number of HLP decompilers around. I use Helpdeco, which is
freeware. Try the Wextech site, which I think is http://www.wextech.com .
Wextech also supply a free decompiler called Paper Trail, but that only
decompiles 16-bit help.

Hope this helps (and I hope it's on-topic for this list...).

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david@heroes.force9.co.uk