Re: HTML extension for voice input

From: James Salsman <james@veritas.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:41:18 -0700
To: www-talk@w3.org
It seems that WebTV may be the first commercial browser to have
implemented the draft referenced below.  At this point I haven't
tested it, but according to:
  http://developer.webtv.net/docs/faq/right.html#forms
"...the WebTV Plus system supports MIME multipart-encoded form
submission and the ability to add picture or voice data in forms
using the file input form element."

Would someone with access to a WebTV Plus system please try
  http://www.bovik.org/testform.html
and let me know if and how that works?

> The draft, "Form-based Device Input and Upload in HTML," available at
>  ftp://ftp.bovik.org/draft-salsman-www-device-upload-02.txt
> has been offered to the W3C as a solution to asynchronous microphone
> input technology in HTML.  There are no objections to the draft of
> which I am aware.  More than two dozen people have provided positive
> comments regarding the draft....
>
> In the past year we've seen the introduction of cheap and useful speech
> technology.  Here are some sites which could really make use of a HTML
> form-based microphone input solution:
>
> [1] http://www.cybertranscriber.com/ -- automatic transcription
>     from spoken dictation from Speech Machines Corp.
>
> [2] http://www.ordinate.com/ -- testing of English fluency,
>     listening, and vocabulary from Ordinate Corp.
>
> [3] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~listen/ -- reading literacy instruction
>     with a reading tutor that listens from Carnegie Mellon's Project LISTEN
>
> [1] and [2] currently require a telephone and perform poorly when the
> telephone connection is not good.  [3] now requires a stand-alone PC.

Cheers,
James Salsman