Re: GET with offset ?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 17:41:24 -0500
To: Tristan Savatier <tristan@mpegtv.com>
CC: www-talk@w3.org
Tristan Savatier wrote:

> Has anyone ever considered that it would be useful to be able
> to add an optionnal 'offset' parameter to the GET request ?

Yes:

============
Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1
January 1997
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068

14.36.2 Range Retrieval Requests

   HTTP retrieval requests using conditional or unconditional GET
   methods may request one or more sub-ranges of the entity, instead of
   the entire entity, using the Range request header, which applies to
   the entity returned as the result of the request:

         Range = "Range" ":" ranges-specifier

> By the way, the same comment applies to the FTP protocol, too.

The same facility exists in FTP, I'm quite sure.
I don't happen to have that spec handy, but I'm
sure it's only a few hops from http://www.ietf.org/

--
Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/