Re: HTTP for Dummies??

From: <hooi_leng.t.szakal@bellatlantic.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:54:20 -0500
To: "www-talk-request(a)w3.org" <www-talk-request@w3.org>, "www-talk(a)w3.org" <www-talk@w3.org>
     "Web Client Programming" by Clinton Wong, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
     is a great reference.

     Hooi-Leng Szakal

Subject: HTTP for Dummies??
Author:  www-talk-request@w3.org at INTERNET
Date:    2/12/98 6:26 PM

Attachment file number 1, file name
Creation date:  February 12, 1998 18:30:52
Document Type:  ASCI, Document Class: MEMO
Comment:        HTTP for Dummies??
Level:          1, Number : 1

I've been looking over RFC 1945 to try and learn a detail or two about
HTTP, and it occues to me that I'm not very bright. Specifically, I'm
trying to find out how the value to specify in the Content-Length line
when POSTing data to a form (I'm trying to do a POST in Java using a
Socket, not a URLConnection). The meatiest thing I've found is from
section 10.4:

The Content-Length entity-header field indicates the size
of the Entity-Body, in decimal number of octets, sent to
the recipient or, in the case of the HEAD method, the size
of the Entity-Body that would have been sent had the request
been a GET.

That just doesn't do it for me.

Is there an HTTP reference anywhere that's a little simpler?

Thanks,
Chris