c++ programming

From: MNewman943 <MNewman943@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:44:07 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
I am a new c++ programmer, and I hope that either you or someone you know of
that could help me with the following problem.

I started playing around with text documents and I can open, append, and
output.  Now I want to know how to format text before the user sees the text.
Suppose I have a text file. And every time the /l is read I want it to take
the entire line and have the text begin a new line of text.  The same would
apply for paragraph formats etc.  Do I need to build a formal parser to handle
the formatting codes??  If I do then I need to be shown how a little snippet
of the source code would look.  Could you please help me?? No one I know seems
to know the answer to that question.  I have been stuck for soooo long now
that I am beginning to get really frustrated.  Basically I am creating a word
processor from the ground up.  All of the other things are done I just want to
know how to format data.  The real thing that I want to test with this program
is taking html tags and using those in my newly created word processor.  But
first I have to know how my format codes should be handled by the format
procedure of my program.  Thank you very much for reading my email.  I would
greatly appreciate any help that you could give me.

MNewman943@aol.com