Re: Idea for improved Checkbox and Radio Buttons (call for discussion)

Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet writes:
> In article <199709101952.NAA19170@austin.bsdi.com>,
> Tony Sanders <sanders@bsdi.com> wrote:
> > One solution would have been to define <INPUT> as a container
> > but it's obviously too late for that.
>
> Why? The closing tag would be ignored by all current browsers,
> and they would not render the accompanying text as clickable label,
> but that's what you can expect on non-supporting browsers.
Right, that's why I said **it's obviously too late** for modifying <INPUT>.

But adding a new tag, as I suggested causes *no* problems for existing
browsers and improves the user interface for newer browsers.

This would also be a huge win for users with visual disabilities
because there would be a way of connecting information to the
checkbox or radiobutton that it is "labeling".  That information
is currently lacking from HTML forms and yet it is present in almost
every other GUI system I have ever seen (Mac, Windows, Motif, etc).