Re: security on the web

From: Sarr Blumson <sarr@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 15:08:08 -0400
To: mwm@contessa.phone.net (Mike Meyer)
cc: www-talk@w3.org, sarr@umich.edu

In message <19970512.7586568.AC25@contessa.phone.net>,
Mike Meyer writes:

>I think she's still right - the technology required to snoop credit card
>numbers off a web server is noticably newer (and hence less obtainable) than
>the technology required to snoop credit card numbers off a hotels phone
>lines.

The issue isn't at the server, which is either run by competent, trustworthy
people or there's no hope at all anyway.  At the _user_ end, though, you're
trusting everybody who shares the same piece of ethernet.  In our public
comuting sites that is a very scary thought.

--------
Sarr Blumson                     sarr@umich.edu
voice: +1 313 764 0253           FAX: +1 313 763 8937
ITD, University of Michigan      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sarr/
535 W William, Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4943