collapseable documents

From: nemo/Joel N. Weber II <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:44:47 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
I find myself wondering whether it would be possible to have a browser
support colapsable documents.  I'm thinking of how the Mac Finder
has an arrow in the view by name display, and if you click
that arrow, then the directory's contents are displayed.  I
think something similar is possible with displaying documents
if those documents are reasonably simple.

It wouldn't work if I've written a paragraph like this:

This is a sample document.  <A HREF="section1.html">Section 1</a> describes
cases where this will work, and <A HREF="section2.html">section 2</a> discusses
the cases where this will work.

So it can't work for all pages.  But it might be doable in some cases.