Re: Timezone analysis of IP addresses/Domain Names

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 D.White@mcs.surrey.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to find country or geographical info or
> timezone info for an arbitrary domain name or IP address?

See RFC 1876, which would like to insert geographic position into DNS
records. The Planet Multicast project at NLANR is also trying to
obtain geographic positions. They have a small database of (mainly US and
Mbone) cites vs. position records. I started a (very small) database of
ip address to city records, plus for localised companies in .com, .org
one can ask InterNIC. Many non-US countries are small enough that they
only have one timezone, and a blob on a world map is not so far off (only
hundreds of km, maybe, not thousands).
See links at http://vancouver-webpages.com/net/maps/

Andrew Daviel         mailto:advax@triumf.ca
TRIUMF                voice: 604-222-7376
4004 Wesbrook Mall    fax:   604-222-7307
Vancouver BC          http://andrew.triumf.ca/~andrew
Canada   V6T 2A3      49D14.7N 123D13.6W