Re: Timezone analysis of IP addresses/Domain Name

From: Chris Clark <mclark@startext.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:13:08 -0600
To: www-talk@w3.org, D.White@mcs.surrey.ac.uk
D.White@mcs.surrey.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to find country or geographical info or
> timezone info for an arbitrary domain name or IP address?

You may benefit from the WWW Stats on the Marshall Procurement Server.
        http://msfcinfo.msfc.nasa.gov/wwwstats/stats.html

> I'm trying to see if it's possible to perform a timezone-based analysis of
> our Web server logs, to see the distribution of accesses by timezone (and
> hence country).  The Web server logs record either the IP address or the
> FQDN of the requesting machine.  I've already assumed that I can look at
> FQDNs with country codes at the end, and use that to determine which country
> the machine's in.
>
> First question: does anyone know where to find the official country code
> listings, and how to relate these to timezone, ie. GMT+n?

On the Marshall Page :
	http://msfcinfo.msfc.nasa.gov/wwwstats/stats.html#Domain

For information about Httpd Logfile Analysis Software, see :
	http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/wwwstat/

Hope this helps,
Chris Clark