Re: A proposal for a new protocol

From: Sarr Blumson <sarr@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 09:12:17 -0500
To: "didier ph martin" <dmartin@cedep.com>
cc: www-talk@w3.org

You might want to look at X/Open's Federated Naming.  Someplace on
www.opengroup.org/

In message <199703052146.QAA07319@octave.collegeleboeuf.qc.ca>,
"didier ph martin" writes:

>During the past months we have worked on an implementation of the MCF
>language (ref:
>http://mcf.research.apple.com/hs/mcf.html). However, instead of using URLs
>identifier for units we used URNs. We looked at
>several draft:
>PATH URL: draft-ietf-uri-urn-path-01.txt
>PURL
>Handle
>
>We found in these projects very interesting things, but we got a major
>constraint. Independently of turf and religion wars (which
>remind me of some dark ages) we have market constraints. Concretely, this
>means that to implement name spaces (at the base of
>URN), we have to deal with Novell NDS, Microsoft Active Directory, DNS  on
>some systems, the desktop name space and so
>on... Even if we grabbed ideas from these previously mentioned projects, we
>had, after more thought, to design a URN protocol
>that would take into account this reality.

--------
Sarr Blumson                    sarr@umich.edu
voice: +1 313 764 0253          home: +1 313 665 9591
ITD, University of Michigan     http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sarr/
535 W William, Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4943