Re: ftp URLs and browser behaviour

In article <B01F52F7-D67D3@134.32.101.215>,
"Steven Heaney" <heaney@cambridge.scr.slb.com> wrote:
> If I want to reference a resource via an ftp URL that requires a username
> and password (other than anonymous) on the host machine, is there a
> standard way to indicate this in the URL without providing a username

Not that I can see. You can of course explicitly embed a username in
the URL, but that doesn't do what you want, if you want what I
think you want.

I would say it is a browser function - if you can't get in to an
FTP server, the client can detect the reason ("user unknown" is
a different error than "too many connections" etc), and pop up a
dialog box to ask for a correct username/password.

--
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>