Re: ftp URLs and browser behaviour

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:26:08 PDT
To: S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
CC: heaney@cambridge.scr.slb.com, www-talk@w3.org
There's no way to say "prompt the user for a name & password".
Some browsers do it if anonymous fails, others don't.
If you want to add that as a requirement, then you'd have
to say so.

If you want to add a new syntax, or say
   ftp://:@<host>/<urlpath>

means "prompt the user if sending the empty string fails",
then we'd have to recycle *those* at proposed, too.

In any case, nobody uses the ";type=d" thing we added
to the Proposed Standard, I don't think, so I'd like to
just drop it as we move forward.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter