Re: Content-Base response header

From: Dave Ingham <Dave.Ingham@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:40:22 +0000 (GMT)
To: frystyk@w3.org (Henrik Frystyk Nielsen)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Henrik said:
> At 03:28 PM 2/21/97 +0000, Dave Ingham wrote:
> >Does anyone know if any browsers support Content-Base headers with
> >HTTP/1.0 requests? I have tried a number of experiments with no success.
>
> If you are looking for an example of how to do it then libwww follows the
> rules set in the HTTP/1.1 specification in handling URL expansion. The
> algorithm goes like this
>
> 	if ( Content-Base )				/* Must be absolute */
> 		base = Content-Base
> 	else if ( Content-Location )		/* Can be relative or absolute */
> 		if ( Content-Location is absolute)
> 			base = Content-Location
> 		else
> 			base = Request-URI		/* Must be absolute */
> 		endif
> 	endif
>
> 	expanded = URL taken relative to base
>
> Content-base can be changed in the HTML document itself in which case you
> just run the algorithm again.

Thanks for your explanation which confirmed my understanding of how
Content-Base should be processed.

In particular my problem is trying to use Content-Base in an
application.  I have tried generating several different formats but
none of the popular browsers I've tested the application with pay any
attention to the header (however, most do understand the HTML tag
<BASE HREF=...>.)

Examples of The formats I've tried are:

Base: <URL:http://arjuna.ncl.ac.uk/> as per RFC1808

Does anyone know if any popular browsers support Content-Base headers?

Cheers

Dave.

David Ingham (Research Associate) PHONE: 0191 222 8067
Department of Computing Science,  FAX:   0191 222 8232
The University,                   URL:   http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~dave.ingham
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU,     EMAIL: Dave.Ingham@ncl.ac.uk
United Kingdom                       or  Dave.Ingham@iee.org