Re: Using $ for CGI script arguments?

From: Simone Demmel <neko@greenie.muc.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:14:30 +0100
To: Francois.Pottier@inria.fr (Francois Pottier)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org, fpottier@pauillac.inria.fr
Hi,

Francois Pottier wrote:
[...]
> RFC 2068 (the HTTP/1.1 standard) says that at the end of the path, we
[...]
>   http://myserver.mydomain/pathsegment/scriptname;args?query
[..but..]
>   http://myserver.mydomain/pathsegment/scriptname$args?query
[...]
> So, my question is, what's the consensus? What are the respective
> roles of the semicolon and of the dollar signs? Can they be used
> interchangeably, or do they have different meanings? Should my parser
> look out for both of them, and if so, in what order? etc.

Good question, here are some more Possibilities:
http://myserver.mydomain/path/info.html#5    (<a name>-Links in html-Files)
http://myserver.mydomain/pathsegment/scriptname?arg1=x&arg2=y

The last one (?arg=x&arg=...) seems to be standard for GET, I've never
seen something different (implemented)

neko
--
neko@greenie.muc.de 	  Simone Demmel		Muenchen (Germany)