Re: Persistent connections: current implementations?

From: Steven Ball <steve@cs.anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:43:14 +1100
To: Ka-Ping Yee <kryee@wheat.uwaterloo.ca>
cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org, steve@rigel.anu.edu.au
Ka-Ping wrote:
> If anyone on this list knows about clients and/or servers which
> currently support persistent connections, could you let me know?

I've added partial support for HTTP/1.1, including persistent connections
in particular, to the tclhttpd server.  The code has not been released
publically yet, but should be soon (I want to complete more of the
implementation first).

> Do they all use the "Connection: Keep-Alive" header to indicate
> that a connection should be held open?

tclhttpd does not at this stage - it just implements persistent connections
as per HTTP/1.1.  Adding backward-compatibility for Keep-Alive should be
trivial.

> Do any clients or servers support the scheme where the server
> transmits all the inline images immediately after transmitting
> a document, even if the client doesn't ask?

tclhttpd does not.  What you need is pipelining - similar effect, but the
client does explicitly ask for the documents.

Cheers,
Steve Ball, DCS ANU.