Re: Pipelining

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@www10.w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:23:49 -0500
To: "Gerardo Diaz" <gdiaz@www.cegs.itesm.mx>, www-talk@www10.w3.org
At 02:53 PM 1/28/97 -0800, Gerardo Diaz wrote:
>How does the HTTP/1.1 specification implements Pipelining? I know that it
>not use any specific method nor header. So how does it works?

Pipelining is very simple: As you say - there are no changes to the HTTP
messages - everything on the wire looks the same. Only the timing is
different. In HTTP/1.1 we know that the connections by default stays open.
That is, we can start sending multiple requests to the server while we are
still waiting for a response. This means that the server when handled a
request immediately can start handling the next one instead of waiting for
the client to send a new one.

The result is that we save a lot of RTTs between the client and the server.
By doing some clever output buffering when sending the requests and the

There is also an explanation at

which is one of the slides that Jim Gettys and me presented at the San Jose
IETF meeting.

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-346