Re: Persistent connections: current implementations?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@www10.w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:49:01 -0500
To: Ka-Ping Yee <kryee@wheat.uwaterloo.ca>, www-talk@www10.w3.org
At 03:26 PM 1/28/97 -0500, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>If anyone on this list knows about clients and/or servers which
>currently support persistent connections, could you let me know?
>Do they all use the "Connection: Keep-Alive" header to indicate
>that a connection should be held open?

We have done some performance analysis of HTTP/1.1 and how it can
outperform HTTP/1.0 in significant ways. One of the most important parts of
this is the use of persistent connections and pipelining. The result
imposes much less load on the Internet and the end-user also wins as he/she
gets the data sooner. If you are doing a HTTP/1.1 implementation then I
urge you to study our results!

We are still working on the data, but you can find the preliminary results at

These tests are based on the libwww robot and the Jigsaw server - both
available from the W3C site.

>Do any clients or servers support the scheme where the server
>transmits all the inline images immediately after transmitting
>a document, even if the client doesn't ask?

This is probably not a good idea as this essentially will short circuit any
caches in between.

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-346