Re: Call for Closure - HTTP response version

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 15:11:54 +0100 (MET)
To: dwm@xpasc.com (David W. Morris)
Cc: akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us, koen@win.tue.nl, dmk@research.bell-labs.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, www-talk@www10.w3.org, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
David W. Morris:

[...]
>Another choice is to stop overloading a single value for two
>purposes ...
>  1.  Declaring the servers capabilities
>  2.  Labeling the level of the response

I see no such overloading in the HTTP/1.1 spec.  The spec is clear on
the fact that the minor version number in the response does 1 (but
only for this particular request!), not 2.

Now, there *might* be a good reason to add a header which does 2.  A
header which says `this response is compatible with both 1.0 clients
and 1.1 clients' might be useful for a 1.1 caching proxy.  We'll find
out when someone actually starts trying to build such a proxy.

>Dave Morris

Koen.