data transfert with java applet

From: Erika Madja <madja@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:06:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Hi, Can anyone help me ?
1 - Java applets  are said to have some restrictions . For instance
they can't make network connections except to the host that they came
from.  If this is the case, what is the URL class used for ? just to
refer to resources that are the host the applet come from ? In other words,
can't I write applets that  access data from any http/ftp.. server on the
Internet ?
2 - How can I use the URLStreamHandler to specify that the stream protocol
to be used is RTP not HTTP.
thank you a lot in advance.
Erika.