Error in RFC 1808?

From: Francois Pottier <Francois.Pottier@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:56:17 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-talk@w3.org

Hi,

I'm new to this list. I am developing a shareware link checker for the
Macintosh called Big Brother. I have just implemented a URL parser which
attempts to follow exactly the definition given in RFC 1808.

The problem is, according to these rules, the following URL is invalid:

  http://pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier/

because the tilde (~) character is not allowed in path segments. Yet
tilde characters are very common in everyday use on the Web, so I must
assume that RFC 1808 either contains typos or is out of date. Can anyone
point me to a correct and precise definition of the URL syntax?

Thanks!

--
Francois Pottier
Francois.Pottier@inria.fr