RE: Running Applications

From: Pete Brower <pete@appx.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:50:35 -0400
To: "'Bob Jernigan'" <jern@spaceaix.jhuapl.edu>, Stuart Young <nakor@glasswings.com.au>
Cc: "francis@di.uminho.pt" <francis@di.uminho.pt>, "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>, "www-talk@w3.org" <www-talk@w3.org>

If you want to be able to install software, I think I have seen
someone define a link between .ZIP and .EXE files and WinZip
so that if they download a.ZIP or .EXE file, it automatically
starts up WinZip.  WinZip has a button to INSTALL a windows
application from a .ZIP or auto-unzipping .EXE file by unzipping
to a work directory and automatically running the SETUP.EXE
file it contains.

This could automate the installation of software, but not actually
execute ANY binary.  Plus you must actually press the INSTALL button
on the WinZip application.

Pete Brower
pete@appx.com