Re: Running Applications

From: Stuart Young <nakor@glasswings.com.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 23:53:37 +1000 (EST)
To: Francisco Pinto <francis@di.uminho.pt>
cc: francis@di.uminho.pt, www-html@w3.org, www-talk@w3.org
On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Francisco Pinto wrote:

> How can I execute an application
>
> 	Binary Executable (application/octet-stream) (exe,bin)
>
> immediately after download it from the Internet through a Browser, without
> saving it to disk?

Without saving it to disk is 'hard' indeed! In fact, I'd say it'd at
least get saved to disk as a cache measure.

> The goal is to install automatically a software package, running first
> the setup application. I know that this could be dangerous in security
> terms. But this case, is a particular case, where I know what software
> pack I will run.

This alos depends what browser you are running. I know there is a plug-in
for netscape that is specifically for installing software, but I have NO
IDEA of how much it costs to use/liciense on either end, or whatever!

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| nakor@glasswings.com.au - Man is territorial. Violence is our response.  |