NSAPI/SSL vs. MSIE 3.0. Does it work?

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 20:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org

Hi --

Does anyone have a demonstrable case of MSIE 3.0 working correctly
with NSAPI applications running on a secure server?

I have what ought to be a simple case, and I am following the API rules
to the extent I can figure them out.  Yet my application simply will
not work reliably with MSIE 3.0 when I run it with the secure Netscape
Commerce Server.  (Commerce Server v. 1.12, Digital Unix 3.2C).
It doesn't always fail immediately, but it does eventually
crash MSIE with bad page fault.

Our interface code with Netscape is extremely simple.  I run into the
same problems no matter how we set up our application -- whether the
whole application is in a shared library, or just a minimal stub as a
shared library with a sub-process running the bulk of the application.

The CGI version of our application works fine with the secure server,
as does the non-SSL NSAPI version.  The losing combination is NSAPI,
SSL, and MSIE 3.0.

If anyone knows what the magic word or secret handshake is, please
feel free to divulge it.

thanks for any hints,

  Shel Kaphan
  sjk@amazon.com